Recipe: Avocado Chocolate Pudding
4 very ripe Hass avocados (about 2 pounds total)
1/4 cup plain, chocolate (preferred), or vanilla non-dairy milk, at room temperature
3 to 5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
1/4 teaspoon fine salt
2 to 3 ounces dark or bittersweet chocolate
1/4 cup agave nectar, mild-flavored honey, pure maple syrup (grade B preferred), date syrup, sorghum, or brown rice syrup
- Prep the avocados. Cut 1 avocado in half with a sharp paring knife, making sure to avoid the large pit. Separate the avocado halves, and using a spoon, remove the pit. Scrape off any avocado flesh that may be stuck on the pit, and place it in the bowl of a food processor or a blender.
- Add the milk, cocoa powder, vanilla, and salt to the food processor or blender. Cover and process or blend until fully combined and the avocado is smooth, 30 to 45 seconds
- Melt the chocolate. Chop or break the chocolate into small (1/2-inch) pieces. Place in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high power at 20-second intervals, stirring between intervals, until the chocolate is melted, about 1 minute total.
- Sweeten the chocolate. Add your chosen sweetener to the melted chocolate and stir until completely smooth and fully combined, about 1 minute. It will begin to thicken as you stir.
- Process or blend until smooth. Cover the processor or blender and blend until fully combined, 45 to 50 seconds.
- Chill and serve. Scoop the pudding into a large bowl, or if you would like individual servings, scoop about 1/2 cup pudding into each of 4 ramekins or cups. Cover the bowl or ramekins or cups with plastic wrap and chill for at least 20 to 30 minutes before serving.