Recipe: Slow Cooker Polenta with Cinnamon Apples
We're very excited to be carrying Community Grains Red Flint heritage Polenta. It is as beautiful as it is delicious. It makes a wonderful breakfast porridge overnight in the slow cooker, especially with cinnamon apples.
Slow Cooker Polenta Porridge
- 1 cup Community Grains Organic Red Flint ‘Floriani’ Polenta Integrale
- 5 cups water, more if needed
Slow Cooker: Whisk together salt, polenta, and water into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes to an hour, to heat the water. Stir, cover, and set cooker to low for about 6 hours. Stir occasionally if possible. If the polenta gets too stiff, add a bit of hot water. When the polenta is smooth, thick, and tender, it is done. Remove from heat, stir in butter or cheese, and serve.
Cinnamon Apple Topping
Adapted from Food & Wine
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the apple pieces and cook for 2 minutes or until soft. Stir in the water, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Cook for an additional 2 minutes or until the liquid thickens.
- After the polenta has reached the desired texture, stir the butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon and salt into the polenta, stirring until the butter is melted and everything is well combined.