Recipe: Oven Roasted Orange Chicken with Fennel
Recipe from foolproofliving.com
• 1⁄3 cup Pernod
• 4 tablespoons olive oil
• 3 tablespoons orange juice, freshly squeezed
• 3 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
• 2 tablespoons grainy mustard
• 3 tablespoons brown sugar
• 2 teaspoons salt
• 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper, freshly ground
• 21⁄2 lb. chicken thighs, bone-in
• 2 medium fennel bulbs, washed and cut into 6 equal wedges
• 3 oranges, sliced horizontally into 1⁄4 inch slices
• 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped finely
• 3 teaspoons fennel seeds
• 1-tablespoon fennel fronds – as garnish
• Mix Pernod, olive oil, orange juice, lemon juice, mustard, brown sugar, salt
and pepper in a large mixing bowl.
• Pat-dry chicken thighs with paper towel.
• Add the chicken thighs, fennel wedges, orange slices, thyme, and fennel
seeds into the mixture. Stir well.
• Cover it with plastic wrap and let it marinade at least for 2 hours or over- night.
• Pre-heat the oven to 475 F Degrees. Place the chicken thighs (skin side
facing up), in a single layer, into a large ovenproof glass pan (I used a
11”X15” Pyrex). Distribute all the fennel wedges and orange slices equally
around the chicken thighs. Pour the marinate juices over it.
• Place it in the oven, and roast for 40-45 minutes.
• Transfer the chicken thighs, fennel wedges, and orange slices into a serving
plate. Cover with aluminum foil to keep warm. Set aside.
• Pour the juices into a small saucepan. Bring it to a boil, over medium-high
heat. Then turn down the heat to low, and allow it to simmer until it is
reduced to 1⁄3 cup.
• Pour over the sauce over the chicken. Garnish it with fennel fronds.