Recipe: Frog Hollow Olive Oil Cake with Citrus Compote
5 eggs (room temperature)
1 tbsp of orange zest
1/3 cup and 2 tbsp. of Frog Hollow olive oil (2012 is suitable for this recipe)
½ cup Sauterne (you can substitute with a sweet wine such as white zinfandel or Riesling)
¾ cup sugar
1 cup of flour
2 egg whites (room temperature)
½ tsp cream of tartar
¼ tsp of salt
1. Preheat oven to 335 degrees. Line the bottom of a spring form pan with parchment paper and brush with butter.
2. Beat egg yolks at medium speed with half of the sugar until you have a three second stream.
3. Slowly stream in olive oil and Sauterne (sweet wine). Sift in dry ingredients and continue to beat until ingredients are well combined.
4. Beat whites with cream of tartar and sugar until you get soft peaks.
5. Fold the whites into the yolks.
6. Pour batter into the spring form Pan and place it in the oven for 20 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 300 degrees for the next 20 minutes. Turn oven off and let the cake sit in oven for 10 minutes.
7. Take cake out of the oven and let it cool.
8. Remove cake from spring form Pan and sprinkle with confectioners sugar.
9. Serve with citrus compote.